This work covers subject areas ranging from the Internet of Things and embedded systems through to monitoring and control, and the planning and optimisation of production processes. Depending on the project, work can be oriented towards technological or business-process developments or on improvements across the entire value chain. Below are just a few projects in which PiiA is involved.
Human Centered Remote Control (HCRC)
Introducing remote control solutions in the process industry can bring advantages in terms of increased safety and a more comfortable work environment. But poorly implemented systems can easily diminish work performance and introduce new types of ergonomic problems for the operators.
IoTSP – Industrial Internet of Things Services and People
ABB together with PiiA and SICS are starting a strategic initiative to support Swedish process and automation industry to address these challenges and possibilities.
In addition to coordinating applications for research funding, PiiA initiates and conducts its own RDI projects or Strategic Projects. These include strategic pre-studies, demonstration projects, and lighthouse projects.
Strategic pre-studies are aimed at highlighting areas where projects are not currently being funded but there is a high need for such activity.
Demonstration projects are aimed at highlighting potential innovation opportunities. Vinnova’s Digitalisation of the Swedish Process Industries initiative led to a number of demonstration projects being initiated across Sweden in 2016. PiiA played a role in the design of projects including:
- Small-Scale Pharmaceutical Production. See:
- Gamification in Industry. See:
- Mobile Control Room. See:
- Pilot for Industrial Mobile communication in Mining (PIMM). This was both a demonstration project and a PiiA lighthouse project. See: [link]
PiiA lighthouse projects focus on major, ground-breaking initiatives, typically driven by industry. These include:
- The Internet of Things Services and People (IoTSP), an ABB-initiated study looking at creating an integrated industry. See:
- Pilot for Industrial Mobile communication in Mining (PIMM), an Ericsson-initiated project aimed at testing 5G technology in a real production environment at a Boliden-operated mine at Kankberg. See: www.sics.se/projects/pimm